Iran is a popular tourist destination, with a rich history and culture. From thousand-year-old archaeological sites to bustling bazaars and breathtaking natural landscapes, Iran has much to appeal to visitors from all over the world. To enter Iran, foreign visitors must apply for a visa. Until 2019, you had to go to the Iranian embassy or consulate in your country of residence to apply for a visa. Since 2019, Iran has offered an e-visa, which can be applied for online. This e-visa is a practical and fast solution for tourists wishing to visit Iran. It allows you to obtain a visa without having to go to the Iranian embassy or consulate.
Iran online visa application: key points
- An online visa for Iran can be obtained in 24 to 72 hours
- The online visa for Iran is valid for 30 days from the date of issue.
- The price of an online visa application for Iran is $85 on average
- It is required to apply for a visa online before travelling to Iran
What are the visa requirements for Iran from the UK?
Visa requirements for Iran from the UK are as follows:
- British nationals are required to obtain a visa to enter Iran.
- There are two types of visa for Iran: electronic visas and visas on arrival.
- The electronic visa is the simplest and quickest procedure. It can be obtained online at e_visa.mfa.ir.
- A visa on arrival is also possible, but the procedure is longer and less secure. It is advisable to apply for an e-visa in advance.
- The fee for an e-visa is €85. The fee for a visa on arrival is €75.
- Visas are valid for stays of up to 30 days.
- The Iranian authorities may refuse entry to people with criminal records or who are considered a threat to national security.
What is the tourist visa application form for Iran?
The tourist visa application form for Iran is an official document that foreign citizens must complete to apply for a visa to visit Iran. The form is available in a wide range of languages.
If your application for a tourist visa for Iran is approved, you will receive your visa by e-mail within 24 to 72 hours. The e-visa is valid for 30 days from the date of issue.
The e-visa is now an attractive alternative to the old visa procedure for Iran, which required you to go to the Iranian embassy or consulate in your country of residence. This electronic procedure, offered by various online service providers, saves you precious time when preparing your trip.
How do I apply for an e-visa for Iran?
Here is the procedure to follow if you wish to obtain a tourist visa for Iran online:
- Go to the official Iranian government website or a service provider's website: The service provider's website that we recommend on this page allows you to find all the information you need to apply for an e-visa, including the application form, the documents required and the visa fees. The advantage of this site is that it will provide you with extra help if you need it and guide you in the best way to fill in the form.
- Fill in the e-visa application form: The e-visa application form is available in several languages. You will need to provide various information on the form, such as personal details and information about your trip.
- Provide the required documents: You will need to provide the following documents for your e-visa application, including a recent passport photo (3.5 x 4.5 cm), a copy of your valid passport with at least six months' validity, a copy of your return air ticket or a multi-entry ticket.
- Pay the visa fee: The visa fee for Iran is $85 for citizens of most countries. To this fee must be added the cost of processing and transferring your application, which may vary from one service provider to another. You can pay the visa fee by credit or debit card on a secure server.
- Receive your e-visa by e-mail: If your e-visa application is approved, you will receive your e-visa by e-mail within 24 to 72 hours. The e-visa is valid for 30 days from the date of issue.
How do I fill in the application form for an e-visa for Iran?
Here are detailed instructions on how to complete the various parts of the Iran e-visa application form:
Part 1: Personal details
In this section, you must provide the following information about yourself:
- Your surname and first name (as shown on your passport)
- Your nationality
- Your gender
- Your date of birth
- Your postal address
- Your telephone number
- Your e-mail address
Please ensure that you provide the correct and complete information.
Part 2: Passport information
In this section, you must provide the following information about your passport:
- Your passport number
- The expiry date of your passport
Make sure that your passport is valid for at least six months from the date of your trip. If it is not, remember to renew it before applying for your visa.
Part 3: Travel information
In this section, you must provide the following information about your trip:
- The dates of your trip
- The reason for your trip
- Place of arrival in Iran
- Place of departure from Iran
Please ensure that you provide correct and complete information.
Part 4: Information on sponsors or guests
If you are travelling to Iran with a sponsor or guest, you must provide the following information about them:
- Full name
- Passport number
- Passport expiry date
Part 5: Signature of the application
In this section, you must sign the application form.
Uploading your passport photo and a copy of your passport
Once you have completed the e-visa application form, you need to upload your passport photo and a copy of your passport.
Your passport photo must be recent (3.5 x 4.5 cm) and taken within the last six months. Your passport copy must be a clear and legible copy of the first and second pages of your passport.
Part 6: Payment of visa fees
The visa embassy fee for Iran is $85. In addition to this fee, you may have to pay processing fees to the service providers. You can pay the visa fee by credit or debit card.
Payment of the fee is, of course, compulsory and necessary to start processing your visa application. So make sure you have a valid means of payment with you when you fill in the form.
Part 7: Checking your details and submitting your application
Once you have completed the e-visa application form, uploaded your passport photo and a copy of your passport, and paid the visa fee, you can check your details and submit your application.
When is the best time to fill in the e-visa application form for Iran?
The best time to apply for an e-visa for Iran is at least 2 weeks before your departure date. This will allow sufficient time for the application to be approved and the visa to be sent by e-mail.
If you are travelling during the peak tourist season, it is best to apply even earlier, as the number of applications is higher at this time.
Here are some additional tips for applying for an e-visa for Iran:
- Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months from the date of travel.
- Use a recent passport photo for your application. The photo must be 3.5 x 4.5 cm and taken within the last six months.
- Make sure your flight ticket is valid for the type of visa you are applying for.
- Pay the visa fee as soon as possible.
- Keep your e-visa in a safe place. You will need to present it on arrival in Iran.
If your e-visa application is refused, you can apply for a traditional visa at the Iranian embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.