A visa is often the first essential step for anyone planning to travel to Iran. It's the key to this fascinating and diverse country, rich in history, culture and breathtaking scenery. Whether you want to explore ancient Persian cities, sample exquisite cuisine, or simply immerse yourself in Iranian hospitality, obtaining a visa is a key part of your preparations. On this page, we'll look in detail at the process of obtaining a visa for Iran. From the type of visa to choose to the associated fees, from processing times to specific requirements, we'll cover every aspect to help you plan your trip with confidence. You'll find out how to navigate the paperwork and what steps to take to get your visa. Then read on to find out everything you need to know about the time it takes to obtain an Iran visa and the costs involved.
Processing time and price for an Iran visa: key points
- The price for an online visa to Iran is approximately €85.
- Additional fees or urgent processing fees may be added to this price
- The processing time for an online visa to Iran is between 24 and 72 hours
- Iran visa processing time at the Embassy is 5 to 7 days
How much does a visa to Iran cost?
Visa fees for Iran vary according to the procedure used and the type of visa requested.
The standard procedure, which involves applying for a visa at the Iranian embassy or consulate, costs 50 euros for a single-entry tourist visa. A multiple-entry tourist visa costs €100.
The online procedure, which allows you to submit a visa application on the website of the Iranian embassy or consulate, costs around 85 euros for a single-entry tourist visa. The average cost of a multiple-entry tourist visa is €170.
In addition to these fees, visa applicants may have to pay service charges or other related fees, such as courier charges or emergency fees.
How long does it take and what are the fees for express processing of the visa application for Iran?
In addition to the standard procedures for applying for a visa for Iran, there are express processing options that allow you to obtain your visa more quickly. The processing time for an express visa for Iran is 24 hours for the standard procedure and 72 hours for the online procedure.
For the standard procedure, it is possible to request express processing at an additional cost of 50 euros for a single-entry tourist visa and 100 euros for a multiple-entry tourist visa.
For the online procedure, it is possible to request express processing at an additional cost of 100 euros for a single-entry tourist visa and 200 euros for a multiple-entry tourist visa.
It is important to note that these express processing options are not always available and that processing times may vary depending on the time of year. It is advisable to contact the nearest Iranian embassy or consulate for more information.
How long does it take to process a visa application for Iran?
The time taken to process a visa for Iran depends on the procedure used. The standard procedure, which involves submitting a visa application to the Iranian embassy or consulate, generally takes between 10 and 15 working days. The online procedure, which allows you to submit a visa application via the Iranian embassy or consulate website, is quicker and generally takes between 5 and 7 working days.
In both cases, the processing time may be extended depending on the circumstances, particularly if the application requires further verification by the Iranian authorities.
Factors influencing processing times are as follows:
- Tourist season: During busy tourist periods, such as the summer months, processing times may be extended due to the increased number of visa applications. It is therefore advisable to submit your application several weeks in advance if you plan to travel during these periods.
- Type of visa: Certain types of online visas, such as student or work visas, may require more in-depth checks, which can extend processing times.
- Multiple applications: If you are submitting multiple online visa applications for a group of travellers, this may also take longer to process.
- Missing or incorrect documents: Delays can occur if the documents submitted with your online visa application are incomplete or incorrect. Make sure you provide all required documents accurately.
- Administrative problems: Occasionally, administrative problems can occur, which can extend the processing time. However, this is relatively rare.
The e-visa or online visa for Iran allows you to benefit from a faster processing time of 48 to 72 hours on average.
What are the different types of visa for Iran?
When considering travel to Iran, it's essential to understand the different types of visa available, as the type of visa you choose will depend on your reason for travelling. Here is an overview of the common types of visa for Iran:
- Tourist visa: This visa is for travellers who wish to explore Iran's tourist sites. It is generally valid for 30 days, but can be extended.
- Business visa: This visa is for travellers who have business activities in Iran, such as business meetings or negotiations.
- Transit visa: This visa is for travellers in transit through Iran to another destination.
- Student visa : This visa is for international students enrolled in educational institutions in Iran.
- Work visa: This visa is intended for people who have found employment in Iran.
How to obtain a visa for Iran?
Now that you have an idea of the types of visa available, it's time to explore the steps involved in obtaining your visa for Iran. Here's a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
- Choose the right type of visa: Start by determining the type of visa that best suits your reason for travelling to Iran. Make sure you understand the specific requirements associated with that type of visa.
- Prepare the necessary documents: Gather the documents required for your visa application. This may include a letter of invitation, a hotel reservation, a travel itinerary, a letter of admission to a university, a job offer, etc. Check the specific requirements for your type of visa.
- Fill in the application form: You will need to fill in a visa application form for Iran. Make sure you provide accurate and complete information. The form is usually available online on the website of the Iranian embassy or consulate.
- Pay the visa fees: Each type of visa has associated fees. Make sure you pay the required visa fee when you submit your application. Accepted payment methods may vary depending on the embassy or consulate.
- Make an appointment: Contact your nearest Iranian embassy, consulate or visa office to make an appointment. You will usually need to go in person to submit your application. Make sure you bring all the required documents.
- Submit your application: Submit your visa application in person at the embassy, consulate or visa office. Follow the instructions given by the consular staff.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.