The Check MIG (Migración Colombia) is a border control system set up by the Colombian government to regulate the entry and exit of travellers into the country. This process aims to ensure border security and facilitate immigration formalities for travellers. Whether you are a Colombian national or a foreigner wishing to visit Colombia, the Check MIG is an important aspect to consider before flying to this enchanting destination. On this page, we'll guide you through the steps involved in applying for a Colombia Check MIG. We'll explain who is affected by this requirement and how you can obtain this authorisation for your trip. Understanding and complying with the process is essential to facilitating your entry into Colombia and making the most of your stay in this country rich in culture, varied landscapes and exciting adventures.
Apply for Colombia Check MIG: key points
- Check MIG for Colombia is an electronic border control system for the country.
- The Check MIG applies to travellers from both Colombia and other countries
- The Check MIG for Colombia can be obtained from the Colombian immigration website or from the website of a private service provider.
- The Check MIG for Colombia is valid for 90 days from the date it is obtained.
What is the Colombia Check MIG?
Check MIG (Migración Colombia) is an electronic border control system set up by the Colombian government to monitor and regulate migratory movements within the country. Its main objective is to strengthen border security and facilitate immigration procedures for travellers entering or leaving Colombia.
Check MIG is designed to collect crucial information on travellers, such as details of their journey, identification documents and reasons for staying in Colombia. By obtaining this information, the authorities can better control migration flows, ensure national security and prevent illegal activities.
Differentiation between Check MIG for Colombian nationals and foreigners: Check MIG applies to both Colombian nationals and foreigners travelling to or from Colombia. However, there are some important differences between the two categories:
- For Colombian nationals: Colombian nationals must also apply for a Check MIG before their international trip, unless they are registered with the RNM-COL (Registro Nacional de Migrantes-Colombianos RNM-COL). This is compulsory, even if they are Colombian citizens.
- For foreigners: Foreign travellers must also apply for a Check MIG before travelling to Colombia. This electronic authorisation is compulsory for foreigners of all nationalities, whether they are travelling for tourism, business, study or any other reason.
Who is concerned by the Check MIG?
The Colombia Check MIG concerns several categories of travellers who are planning to travel to or from Colombia. Here are the main categories of travellers required to apply for a Check MIG before their trip:
- Foreign travellers: All foreign travellers, regardless of their country of residence or nationality, are required to apply for a Check MIG before arriving in Colombia. This applies to travellers from neighbouring countries as well as those from more distant international destinations.
- Colombian nationals: Even if you are a Colombian citizen, you must apply for a Check MIG before leaving the country for international travel. Only Colombian nationals registered with the RNM-COL (Registro Nacional de Migrantes-Colombianos RNM-COL) are exempt from this requirement.
The Check MIG application process
Applying for a Check MIG Colombia is an essential step before travelling to this enchanting South American country. In this section, we'll provide you with a step-by-step guide to help you apply online via the official Migración Colombia website. We will also give you information on the documents required and the information you need to provide when filling in the form.
- Go to the official Migración Colombia website using a reliable internet browser or to the website of a simplified service provider.
- If you are a new applicant, you will need to create an account on the site by providing a valid e-mail address and password. If you already have an account, log in using your login details.
- Once logged in, go to the section dedicated to Check MIG and start filling in the online form. You will need to provide information such as your full name, date of birth, passport number, nationality, travel dates, flight and accommodation details and other travel details.
- You will need to upload the required documents, such as a copy of your passport, your confirmed return flight ticket, and other relevant documents depending on the specific requirements of your trip.
- Before submitting your application, carefully check all the information provided and the documents uploaded to avoid any errors. Once everything is correct, click on the submit button to send your request.
- Once you have submitted your application, you will receive a tracking number. You can use this number to check the status of your application online via the official Migración Colombia website. Processing times may vary, so make sure you apply early to allow enough time before you travel.
How do I check the status of my Check MIG?
The processing time for the Check MIG may vary depending on the volume of applications and the time of year. In general, most travellers receive their approval or refusal status within 24 to 72 hours of submitting their application. However, it is advisable to apply as early as possible, ideally a few days before your planned travel date, to avoid any last-minute inconvenience.
To check the status of your Check MIG application, use the tracking number provided when you submitted your application. Go to the official Migración Colombia website and access the Check MIG tracking section. Enter your tracking number in the field provided and follow the instructions to obtain the status of your authorisation.
How long is the Check MIG valid for?
The Check MIG is generally valid for a specific period, which may vary depending on the characteristics of your journey. As a general rule, the Check MIG is valid for 90 days from the date of issue of the authorisation. This means that you can travel to Colombia for 90 days from the date of issue of the Check MIG.
If your trip exceeds the period of validity of the Check MIG, you will need to renew the authorisation to continue to travel legally in Colombia. Renewal can be done online via the official Migración Colombia website. It is advisable to apply for renewal before your initial Check MIG expires to avoid any problems during your stay.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.