If you are planning your future trip to Kenya, you should have in mind the list of official documents needed to make this trip legally. As we will see in this page, you will need to have a valid passport and an official visa or residence permit for such a trip. Let's find out the details of the documents you need to take with you on a Kenyan trip.
Requirements for Kenya: key points
- A visa is one of the requirements for travelling to Kenya.
- You also need a valid passport to travel to Kenya
- Kenya visa requirements can be completed online using e-visa
What are the requirements for travelling to Kenya?
The requirements for travelling to Kenya depend on your nationality.
For most European citizens
- Passport: your passport must be valid and valid for at least 6 months after the date of your return.
- Visa: since 1 January 2024, an electronic visa (ETA) has been compulsory for all international travellers, including European nationals. You can apply for your ETA online via the Kenyan government website.
- Travel insurance: it is strongly recommended that you take out travel insurance to cover medical expenses, repatriation and other costs in the event of unforeseen circumstances.
For other nationalities
Requirements may vary depending on your nationality. Check with the Kenyan embassy or consulate in your country of residence.
Documents to be presented on arrival
When you arrive in Kenya, you must present the following documents:
- Your valid passport, valid for at least 6 months after the date of your return.
- Your electronic visa (ETA) if you are a European national.
- Your return or onward ticket.
- Proof of solvency, such as a credit card or traveller's cheque.
Is a passport required for travel to Kenya?
As Kenya is outside the European Union, it is of course necessary to have a valid passport with you when you travel to Kenya. It is also important to understand that your passport must be valid for at least 6 months beyond the date of arrival in Kenya.
Another important point about the passport you will need to present when travelling to Kenya is that it must have at least 2 blank pages facing each other.
As a passport application can take several weeks to be processed, we recommend that you apply for a passport well in advance of your trip to Kenya and in any case before you apply for a visa.
Remember that when you apply for a visa to Kenya, you will need to enter your passport number in the online form. It is important that the visa that will be issued to you has the same number as the passport that you will present during your trip. Also, if your passport is due to expire soon, we recommend that you renew your passport before applying for a visa.
What visa is required for travel to Kenya?
Travellers from many countries, including EU nationals, are also required to have an official visa in order to be allowed to travel to Kenya.
While it used to be necessary to visit the Kenyan consulate or embassy in the UK to obtain such a visa, since 2021 it has been possible to submit an application and obtain a visa directly online. All you need to do is fill in a simple form on a provider site like the one we recommend on this page.
Once you have obtained your visa, you will need to present it when you board your flight to Kenya. Remember that it is no longer possible to obtain a visa on arrival at a Kenyan airport or embassy.
What other documents are required for children?
If you are travelling to Kenya with your children, you should know that minors under 16 years of age benefit from a visa exemption as long as they accompany their parents and for tourist stays. However, they must have a passport in their name, which is stamped by the authorities.
Indeed, for some years now, all children, even minors, regardless of their age, have been required to have an individual passport.
It should also be remembered that according to the legislation, minors travelling with both parents or only one parent do not need to be in possession of an exit permit. However, an exit permit will be compulsory since 2017 if this condition is not met. Thus, a child travelling alone without one of his or her two legal parents will have to present a passport and an exit permit form signed by one of the parents with parental authority as well as a photocopy of the identity document of the parent who signed the permit.
Similarly, if you are travelling with a child who is not in your name, it is strongly recommended that you carry a document proving the affiliation. You can also present an authorisation to leave the country duly completed and signed by the other parent, as well as a copy of his/her identity card.
Where and how to apply for an official visa for Kenya?
If you already have a valid passport that is valid for at least 6 months after your expected arrival date in Kenya, you will also need to apply for a visa for that country.
As mentioned above, this application is now 100% online. All you have to do is go to the official website or to the website of a service provider offering a form, fill it in with your personal details and information about your trip as well as your passport number.
The Kenya visa fee is also payable online, so be sure to bring your credit card with you.
How do I get a visa for Kenya quickly online?
To get a fast online visa for Kenya, you will need to follow these steps:
- Check if you are eligible for an online visa: Some nationalities can get an online visa to Kenya, while others need to get a visa in person at a consulate or embassy. If you are a British national, you can apply for a visa online.
- Fill in the online application form: Access the official website or the website of a provider offering online visa procedures and fill in the online application form. Make sure you provide all the required information and upload the necessary documents, such as your passport and a recent photo.
- Make the payment: Once you have completed the application form and uploaded the necessary documents, you will need to make the payment online. Visa fees vary depending on the length of your stay and the type of visa you are applying for. They are payable by credit card from a secure server.
- Waiting for a reply: Once you have submitted your application and made the payment, you will receive an email notification indicating whether your application has been approved or not. If your application is approved, you will receive your eVisa by email.
It is important to note that the waiting time for an online visa to Kenya may vary depending on the application and the time of year. It is therefore advisable to submit your application well in advance to avoid any delays or problems. By following the steps above, you can quickly obtain a visa online for Kenya and start your journey with peace of mind.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.