If you are planning a trip to East Africa, which will take you through several countries, you have the opportunity, through a process set up by the Kenyan government, to benefit from the East Africa Tourist Visa. This tourist visa is actually an e-visa that allows you to enter and travel to Kenya, Uganda and Rwanda. This means that you do not need to apply for separate visas for these countries. But this visa is of course valid if you only enter one of these three countries. One of the advantages of the East Africa Tourist Visa is that it is applied for 100% online, which is both quick and convenient.
East Africa Tourist Visa: key points
- The East Africa Tourist Visa allows you to visit Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda.
- The East Africa Tourist Visa can be obtained online using a 100% electronic procedure
- The East Africa visa is valid for 3 months from the date of issue.
- The East Africa Tourist Visa can be obtained in 2 to 3 working days.
What is the East Africa Tourist Visa?
As mentioned in the introduction, the East Africa Tourist Visa is a visa that allows travel to Kenya, Rwanda and Uganda on a single visa. It was made possible by a partnership created between these 3 countries to increase regional travel and allow tourists to explore the diversity of its cultures.
Another specificity of the East Africa Tourist Visa is that it is a 100% online application. You will not need to go to the embassy or consulate to apply for a traditional visa.
The East Africa visa is for all citizens who wish to visit the 3 countries for tourism purposes during a trip. Of course, this visa will not allow you to work in any of the three countries or to travel there for any other reason than tourism.
How long is the East Africa Tourist Visa valid for?
The East Africa online visa is a multiple entry visa and is valid for a full stay of up to 90 days per entry into the region. It is also necessary to apply for the East Africa Tourist Visa at least 6 working days before the date of travel. Once obtained, this visa must be used within 3 months of the date of issue.
It should also be noted that although this is a multiple entry visa, it will automatically expire when you leave the region. If you travel to Kenya and leave the country to go to Europe before going to Rwanda or Uganda, you will not be able to re-use this visa and will have to apply again.
How do I apply for an East Africa Tourist Visa online?
The application process for the East Africa Tourist Visa is done 100% online from an approved service provider like the one we recommend on this page. To apply for the visa online, you will need several documents including
- A colour copy of the identity page of the passport valid for at least 6 months after the date of return of your stay.
- A recent colour passport photo.
- A hotel booking confirmation in PDF format.
- A list of information requested by the Kenyan authorities. This includes the name of the airport of arrival, the name of the first hotel with its telephone number and email, your occupation, your mother's first and last name, your father's first and last name, and all the countries you have visited in the last 3 months. You should also indicate whether you have travelled to Kenya before.
If you are using the East Africa Tourist Visa for business travel, you will also need to provide other documents, including a letter of invitation from your correspondent in Kenya and a certificate of incorporation of the Kenyan company.
Finally, it should be noted that the East African Tourism Visa will not be valid for a simple transit in one of the above mentioned countries. There is in fact a specific type of visa for these transit or stopovers called the Kenya Transit Visa, which is valid for 3 days from the date of arrival and for a stay of 72 hours.
Remember that once obtained, the East Africa Tourist Visa will be valid for one entry into Kenya and then for as many border crossings as desired, between the 3 countries. As soon as you leave one of these 3 countries, the visa is automatically cancelled.
What is the procedure for applying for an East Africa Tourist Visa?
As mentioned above, the procedure for obtaining an East Africa Tourist Visa is 100% digital and is therefore done online from an approved provider. Here are the different steps to follow to obtain it:
- Firstly you will need to fill in the information requested in the form such as your passport details your name your email address and other information about you or your trip. You will also be able to choose here how long it will take to process your application according to your needs.
- Then check your application and responses and make sure you have not made any mistakes. You can then validate your application.
- Proceed to pay the online visa application fee by credit card.
- Finally, upload all the required documents such as your passport photo and a passport photograph and submit your application.
The East Africa Tourist Visa is an electronic visa and is therefore automatically and electronically attached to your passport. It is however recommended that you print out the confirmation of your approved visa to present to border officials if necessary. You will receive your visa in a relatively short period of time, on average 2 to 3 days after your application.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.