On this page, we will explain how to fill in and answer the questions on the eTA for Canada form in the best possible way to maximise your chances of getting a favourable response to your application.
eTA Canada application form: The different questions
- You can obtain an eTA or electronic travel authorisation for Canada using an online form.
- The eTA application form is available on the official Canadian government website or on the websites of private service providers.
- You will need your passport and a bank card to complete the eTA application form for Canada.
- The questions on the eTA application form concern the traveller, the trip and security.
Where and how can I access an eTA application form for Canada?
The first thing to do in order to apply for an eTA for Canada is, of course, to find a site where you can apply. On this page you will find a link to a partner site that offers an eTA form in English for travellers to Canada.
You will first need to ensure that you meet the necessary conditions to access this scheme.
Please have your valid passport ready, as well as a valid e-mail address and your credit card to pay the processing fees.
On our partner's website, you will of course have the benefit of online help to fill in the various items of this questionnaire.
Summary of the different steps to complete the eTA form for Canada :
To give you an overview of the eTA application procedure for Canada, here is a summary of the different steps you will have to follow:
- Access the form in English and indicate whether you are applying for an eTA for yourself or for someone else.
- Fill in the information on your passport.
- Fill in your personal data.
- Fill in your details.
- Answer the list of eligibility questions.
- Validate and sign your declaration and send it.
Before going into the details of these different steps, we remind you that it is imperative that you provide correct and accurate information to the different questions you will be asked in this form.
First part of the eTA Canada form: Travellers concerned by the application
The first part of the eTA form for Canada will require you to indicate whether you are applying for yourself or for another traveller.
Here you will simply have to answer yes or no to the following questions:
- Are you applying for another person?
- Are you applying on behalf of a minor child?
If you answer yes to either of these two questions, you will be redirected to another form where you will first be asked to provide information about yourself. Only then will you be taken to the main form which you will fill in for the person you are applying for.
Part 2 of the eTA Canada form: Filling in passport details
In Part 2 of the eTA application form, you will be asked to fill in some details and data from your passport. This is the document to which your eTA for Canada will be attached.
Remember that it is essential that the data on your eTA is the same as that on your passport. This passport must of course be validated, but several types of passports are allowed for the online eTA application:
- The ordinary passport
- The diplomatic passport
- The official passport
- The service passport
- An emergency travel document or a provisional document
- Residence permits for refugees
- Passport for foreigners
- The permit to enter the United States
- A refugee travel document from the United States
In addition to indicating your passport number, you will also need to indicate the country of issue and your nationality. You will find all this information on the biographical page of your passport.
Of course. And to benefit from the eTA visa waiver programme for Canada, you must have a nationality that is part of the scheme. If not, the form will tell you directly at that moment if you are not eligible. In this case, you will have to apply for a regular visa for Canada.
Third part of the eTA Canada form: Personal information
In Part 3 of the online eTA application form, you need to fill in a number of details about yourself.
- Your name and surname
- Your date and place of birth
- Your gender
- Your country or territory of birth
- Your possible additional nationalities
- Your marital status
- Your previous applications for an eTA visa or residence permit
- Information about your professional activity.
- Your preferred language of correspondence is English.
- Your email address, which must be valid and will be used for all communications with the eTA application site, which is shown on your electronic authorization.
- From your main residence
Part 4 of the eTA Canada form: Details of stay and previous stays
Part 4 of the eTA application form for Canada will be devoted to your stay. You will be asked to provide certain information about your future trip to Canada.
You will first be asked if you know when you plan to travel to Canada. If you answer yes to this question, you will then be redirected to further questions regarding the details of your itinerary. If not, you will be taken immediately to the next part of the form.
Information that may be requested about your stay in Canada includes your home address, the address and telephone number of a local contact. You may also be asked for your flight number. In this case, remember to bring your travel documents for your flight ticket and your voucher.
Fifth part of the eTA Canada form: Security questions
Finally, the 5th and last part of the eTA application form for Canada concerns security questions designed to establish your potential danger in the country. Here you will be asked to answer a series of yes/no questions in French. The questions asked include the following:
- Any previous refusal of a visa or eTA for Canada.
- Questions about your health status and communicable diseases.
- Questions about your judicial record.
- Questions about your character in general.
Once all the data requested in the form has been filled in, checked and validated, you will of course have to pay the fees for processing and transferring your file to the Canadian authorities. The payment of these fees will be made directly by credit card on a secure online space.
Remember that the processing of an eTA application takes on average less than 72 hours. This means that you will receive an answer to your application directly by email within this timeframe. If your eTA is authorised, you will not have to do anything else as it will be automatically and electronically attached to your passport.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.