Does a child need a visa to travel to Australia?

Do you want to travel to Australia with your child or does your child want to go alone? Whether it's a school trip or with a second parent or legal guardian? In this case, you should know that, just like an adult, he or she will need to carry a legal travel authorisation such as a visa or an evisitor or eTA.

Apply for your Australia e-visa!
Child visa for Australia

In this article, we will explain why and how to obtain this type of travel authorisation for your minor child if they are travelling alone or with their family to Australia, as well as the other documents and authorisations required for their travel to Australia.

eTA or eVisitor child visa for Australia: key points

  • The eVisitor or eTA visa is required for children of all ages.
  • The application for an eVisitor or eTA visa for a child must be made by the child's parent or legal guardian
  • Children travelling to Australia must have their own passport
  • Other documents may be required for a child travelling alone or with only one parent to Australia.


Is a visa essential for a child in Australia?

Since 2017, all travellers to Australia who are under 18 years of age are considered adults under the law and must carry the same documents.

For example, to travel to Australia, a minor child must have an identity card or passport in their name and an electronic travel authorisation such as an eTA or eVisitor. If the child is not eligible for either of these electronic visas, you may also apply for a traditional visa at the Australian embassy or consulate in their country of residence.


What travel authorisation must a child have to travel to Australia?

In order to travel legally to Australia, a minor child must carry valid identification and a travel authorisation.

Identity cards are permitted for travel to Australia for children only, as well as a passport valid for 5 years.

Of course, the minor child must also have either a visa or a legal electronic travel authorisation for Australia such as the eTA or eVisitor. This residence permit is indeed mandatory, even for very young children.

If your minor child wishes to travel to Australia for tourism purposes, he or she will only need to present an eVisitor or eTA. Remember that these two electronic travel authorisations are similar but are not for the same nationalities. Thus, minors of English or European nationality must apply for an eVisitor visa for Australia. This is valid for one year and allows a maximum stay of 90 consecutive days in Australia. For other nationalities, such as Canadian or American children, the eTA Australia will be the preferred solution.

Apply for your Australia e-visa!

What other documents must a child have to travel to Australia?

Of course, a child wishing to travel alone to Australia will need, in addition to a visitor and a passport, an exit permit signed by both legal parents.

If the minor child is accompanied only by one parent, permission from the absent parent is also required. The second parent should also enclose a photocopy of his/her identity card or passport. You should also have a document showing parental authority and permission, as well as a travel permit for the destination country.

Finally, when travelling alone, it will be necessary to obtain an authorisation to leave the country signed by both parents, as well as copies of the identity documents of both legal parents. The same applies to children under guardianship or who have been adopted.

Although the Australian authorities do not release this document, we also advise you to take a copy of your child's birth certificate with you. A copy of your family record book may also be requested in the event of a thorough check. In order to avoid any disappointment when crossing borders, we advise you to take all these documents with you on your trip.

It is also worth remembering that if your child wishes to travel to Australia to study, they should apply for a specific visa.


How do I get an eVisitor visa for a child for Australia?

The online application for an eVisitor residence permit can only be made by one of the parents or legal guardians of the child wishing to travel to Australia. To do so, you just need to go to a website offering this type of application form, such as the website of our partner, whose link you will find on this page.

In the form, it would be necessary to indicate that you are filling in this application for a third person and in this case for a minor child. You should indicate the personal data of this child as well as your personal data as the child's legal guardian.

A passport number must also be entered, as well as a valid e-mail address to which the residence permit will be sent.

Once the form has been duly completed and checked, you can validate it by paying the fees required to process the eVisitor application. Note that this fee is the same whether you are applying for an eVisitor for a child or an adult and is mandatory for the application to be considered and processed.

Once the payment has been made, the visitor's request will be processed within a few days and you will receive a reply directly by e-mail to the e-mail address indicated in the form.

If you are travelling to Australia with your child, you can apply as a group by completing both your application form and your child's application form. This will save you valuable time, but you will still have to pay the necessary fees for both applications.

Apply for your Australia e-visa!

Conclusion: Does a child need an visa to travel to Australia?

When travelling to Australia, minor children must have an eTA or eVisitor visa, just like adults. The eTA or eVisitor is a mandatory document for foreign travellers who wish to enter Australia for a short period of time, for tourism or for a business visit. It is an online formality that checks for criminal history and other factors that may affect a person's eligibility to enter Australia.

Parents or legal guardians can apply for an eTA or eVisitor visa for their child using their own passport. It is important to note that children must have their own passport to travel to Australia. The passport must be valid for the duration of the stay in Australia and must include sufficient pages for entry and exit stamps.

Applying for an eTA or eVisitor visa for a child is usually a quick and easy process that can be done online. Parents or legal guardians must complete an online form providing information about their own passport, as well as the child's passport. They must also pay the fee associated with the eTA or eVisitor application.

Once the visa application is submitted and approved, the eTA or eVisitor will be linked to the child's passport. When the child arrives in Australia, they will need to present their passport and eTA or eVisitor to immigration authorities at the airport or port of entry. The immigration authorities will check the information provided in the eTA or eVisitor application to ensure that the child is authorised to enter Australia.

It is important to note that children travelling unaccompanied by a parent or legal guardian may need to provide additional evidence to prove they are authorised to enter Australia. 

Apply for your Australia e-visa!

As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.


Frequently asked questions

At what age do I need a visa for Australia?

An electronic or conventional travel authorisation such as a visa, eTA or eVisitor is required to travel to Australia from birth. Thus a baby, even a few weeks old, will need to have a residence permit in its name. It is also necessary for the child to have an identity document such as an identity card or passport.

Is the price of an eVisitor for a child the same as for an adult?

Yes, the price of an eVisitor for a child as for an adult will be the same. Indeed, the work involved in processing the application for an eVisitor is the same whether it is an application for a minor child or an adult. It is logical that the fees charged to applicants are similar. Remember that the fees are to be paid by credit card directly on the website where you make the application.

Where can I find a visa application form for a child?

You can find a visa application form for Australia for a child on the same websites as for adults. We recommend that you use the services of our partner service provider, whose link you will find on this page, which will provide you with a form in English and assistance in filling it in.