You are planning your trip to Tanzania and you know that you will need a visa to travel there. You may be tempted to leave this formality aside and deal with it once you have arrived in the country. In reality, this is not a good idea. As we will see together in this article, applying for an on arrival visa for Tanzania has some major drawbacks and risks that you need to consider if you do not want to jeopardise your holiday in the country.
Visa on arrival in Tanzania: key points
- You can obtain a visa on arrival in Tanzania at the airport counter.
- The cost of a visa on arrival in Tanzania is $50, payable in cash.
- To obtain a visa on arrival in Tanzania, you must present your passport, a passport photo and proof of return.
- It is advisable to apply for your visa for Tanzania online before you leave to avoid long waiting times on arrival.
Is it possible to get a visa on arrival in Tanzania?
In reality, it is possible to obtain a visa on arrival in Tanzania, i.e. to travel to this country without a visa and to apply for one once you have entered the country.
To do this, you will have to go to a special counter that you will find in some airports or at the border posts of Dar es Salaam, Zanzibar or Namanga. The cost of this procedure will be $50 and you will need to bring this amount in cash as well as all the other factors and documents that you will be asked for, including
- A valid biometric passport in your name, valid for at least 6 months from the date of your arrival. This passport must have at least 3 blank pages, two of which must be facing each other.
- A passport photo that meets European standards, such as a passport photo or ID card photo, in good quality colour.
- Proof of your return to your home country at the end of your trip or to another country, such as a plane ticket or certificate from a travel agency.
Advantages and disadvantages of applying for a visa on arrival for Tanzania :
If you choose to apply for your visa for Tanzania once you have arrived in the country, you should be aware that this has some advantages but also many disadvantages.
The only advantage to this choice is that you do not have to worry about it beforehand when preparing your trip.
The disadvantages are much more numerous and include the following points:
- A long wait: The immigration counters that receive travellers who do not yet have a visa and wish to apply for one are often crowded and the wait to gain access can sometimes last several hours during busy periods. This means that you will lose precious time before you even leave the airport after an often long and tiring journey.
- Variable price: While the advertised price of $50 is the legal rate for an on-arrival visa application in Tanzania, some travellers have complained of being misled by agents who take advantage of this situation to extract more money from them.
- No guarantee of getting the visa: Finally, the biggest disadvantage of applying for a visa on arrival in Tanzania is the possibility of being refused. Indeed, in this case, the traveller will have no recourse and will have to return immediately to his or her country and by his or her own means, which can be very expensive in addition to putting in question the long-awaited trip.
It is therefore not advisable to wait until you arrive in Tanzania to apply for a visa, which can nowadays be done very easily online.
Apply for an e-visa online before leaving for Tanzania:
The best way to avoid the above-mentioned hazards that can impact your stay in Tanzania is to take the time to apply for an e-visa before your departure to this country.
Indeed, for some years now, the tourist visa for this country can be applied for directly online through a service provider such as the one we recommend on this site. The latter will give you access to an online form that you simply need to fill in with your personal details, passport number and email address and answer a few simple questions.
You will need to attach a scanned copy of your passport and a passport photo to your application.
Once you have completed the form and submitted the documents, all that remains is to validate the application by paying the government fees and service charges online. This payment can be made by credit card or via a Paypal account and is completely secure.
The answer to your application and your visa will be sent to you directly by email within a fortnight and you will only have to print it to present it during your trip.
Is it better to apply for a visa before departure or on arrival at the airport in Zanzibar?
It is often advisable to apply for a visa before departure to Zanzibar, as this can avoid delays or refusals of entry at the airport. This is because some countries only allow a limited number of visas on arrival, or require specific documentation to obtain a visa on arrival. By obtaining a visa before departure, you can be sure that you will be able to enter the country without any problems and start your journey with peace of mind.
To apply for a visa to Zanzibar, you can contact the Tanzanian embassy in your home country, or visit the Tanzanian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website for information on requirements and procedures. It is important to note that visa requirements may vary depending on the purpose of your trip, the length of your stay and your country of departure. For example, some nationalities may be allowed to enter the country without a visa for short stays, while others may require a visa for stays of more than 90 days.
It is also advisable to check passport, vaccination and other documentation requirements for travellers before departure, as these may vary depending on your country of departure and the length of your stay. For example, some nationalities may need to present a passport valid for a minimum period after the end of their stay, while others may need to be vaccinated against specific diseases.
Finally, it is always best to check the latest travel and safety information before you leave, as advice can change due to changing circumstances. You can check the websites of governments, travel agencies and international organisations for the latest information on travel conditions in Zanzibar and the surrounding area.
In summary, applying for a visa before departure to Zanzibar can help you avoid delays and refusals of entry at the airport. It is important to check with the Tanzanian embassy in your country of residence for visa requirements, as well as government, travel agency and accredited provider websites.
As a web writer and globetrotter with a passion for travel and tourism, I have acquired in-depth knowledge of the procedures that are essential for travellers. I help travellers to complete all the formalities required for a successful trip, particularly when it comes to obtaining a visa online. With several years' experience in this field, I'd like to offer you some valuable advice to help you discover the world with complete peace of mind.